Sunday, December 18, 2011

Butternut Squash Cannelloni in Brown Butter Sauce

In the fall I love to cook with butternut squash. It has such an amazing sweet flavor without any seasoning on it. I could eat it plain and roasted right out of the oven! This dish is inspired by a dinner we had at Il Fornaio. I ordered a pumpkin ravioli dish with tomato sauce. I was actually disappointed with how they cooked the dish and I knew I could improve upon it. A few years ago I had a similar entrée at Olive and Ivy and I used that as my inspiration to improve the dish. After preparing this I really think my version is delicious and better than the restaurants.

Cannelloni Recipe:

1.5 cups mashed butternut squash
2 T EVOO
3 garlic cloves chopped
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup grated parmesan
1.5 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp pepper
8 manicotti rolls

Brown Butter Sauce Recipe:
8 T unsalted butter
12 whole sage leaves
½ lemon juiced

Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Bake flesh side down 45 mins at 400 degrees. Allow to cool and scoop out flesh and mash. Heat EVOO in pan and sauté garlic until soft. Combine squash puree, garlic, cheeses, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chopped sage, and walnuts together in large bowl. Boil manicotti for 5 mins until soft. Spray a baking dish with oil and fill manicotti with squash mixture. Place in dish and pour ¼ cup of pasta water over manicotti in dish. Cover tightly and bake for 25 mins at 350 degrees. For the brown butter sauce heat 8 T butter in pan until it turns light brown and smells sweet. Stir in the whole sage leaves. Remove from heat and pour in the lemon juice. Immediately spoon over the manicotti and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment