Monday, July 25, 2011

Caprese Pasty


I traveled to England this last May and I ate a lot of pasties. If you aren’t familiar with this dish it’s called a Cornish Pasty and it’s made of a traditional pie crust filled with cubed meat, potatoes, veggies, and a light peppery sauce. It’s similar to a meat pie. I wanted to do a twist on the traditional pasty and make it with caprese ingredients. I had one similar to this when I visited Bury St. Edmunds in England with my sister.


Pie Crust recipe
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
4 – 5 T warm water
Mix flour and salt together then cut in the shortening and water until it’s the size of peas. Trying not to work the dough too much. Roll out the dough into a large circle. Then cut the dough in half into 2 half circles.

Fill the pie dough with fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil, and pepperoni. Then fold the dough over and crimp the edges. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve marinara sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment